Tuesday, August 19, 2014

FlufferNutter Bundt Cake

After the success of the Kahlau Cake last weekend, I set out today to bake something flavorful and unique, without a recipe. When I am quilting, I am a big fan of using cake mixes so I can pull the cake together quickly and get back to quilting while it bakes.

I had spent Saturday and Sunday at my BFF's home, with her sisters, daughter and nieces. When I got home, I had a good laugh, because my significant other told me I had too much peanut butter in the house! I am not a big PB eater, but he loves it and I always make sure we have plenty on hand, especially when I am gone, because I know he can fix himself a PB sandwich (he doesn't really cook).

So I set out to make a peanut butter cake and I couldn't find a recipe for one so I got creative with what I had on hand.



Ingredients:
1 yellow butter cake mix (I used Shoprite brand)
1 stick of unsalted butter at room temperature
2 TBSP of vanilla extract
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
3 whole eggs
2/3 cup water
1 cup Hershey peanut butter bits (approximately half a bag, the other half will be used in the topping.)

Mix above ingredients in a stand mixer except PB chips and beat for 4 minutes until smooth. Be sure to scrap down the beaters and sides often, as the peanut butter is sticky and will not blend completely unless you stop and scrape often. After batter is blended, manually stir in PB chips until well coated.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare your bundt pan with either non-stick baking spray (the kind that has the flour in it) or with butter and flour. Use a small pastry brush to ensure all sides are evenly coated with the non-stick treatment.

Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. It will be thick. Using a spatula, push the batter to the edges of the pan to ensure the cake will rise evenly. Tap the filled cake pan on the counter (use a towel to protect your counter) several times to release any air bubbles and ensure the pan is filled into the crevices or design of your pan. Pop it into the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cool the cake in pan for 25 minutes on a rack. Invert onto serving platter and allow to cool for an additional hour.


Topping:
Melt the other 1 cup peanut butter bits in the microwave in a microwave safe dish. Blend in 1/4 cup cream and whisk together until smooth and creamy. Spread over top of cooled cake. If desired, use a spoon to drop marshallow fluff to the top, allowing gravity to drizzle the dollops of fluff down the sides.

Cake should be stored covered and refrigerated in warmer weather.




No comments: