Monday, February 24, 2014

Butternut Squash Slow Cooker Soup

Today's recipe in my little crockette is a nice butternut squash soup. I used the following:
2 cups of peeled and chopped fresh butternut squash
1 cup of chicken broth (you can use vegetable broth for a vegan version)
1 small apple, cored and chopped
1/2 chopped white onion.

I added 1 TBSP of unsalted butter to the bottom of the slow cooker and dumped the other ingredients in on top. I also added the following seasonings:
1 tsp. of dried marjoram
1/2 tsp freshly ground black, pink and green pepper corns
a dash of red pepper flakes
several shakes of nutmeg, cinnamon and some pumpkin pie spice.

It cooks for 2-3 hours on high, and then I reduce it to low setting until ready to serve. About 10 minutes before serving I will add 4 oz of cream cheese and a touch of heavy cream and blend it until creamy. It will get served with some crunchy croutons as our first course tonight. I can't wait.




No comments: