Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tri-Lobal Grey Matter - 52 week challenge Quilt # 9

I am a proud member of the North Jersey Modern Quilt Guild. I am trying my hand at making more 'modern' themed quilts these days. I love the color grey and I think this may be due to the fact that my hair is getting more and more grey as time passes. I like the grey and white colors on my head and decided that I needed to make a modern quilt using alot of Moda grey solid fabric.

I had seen a stack of strip quilts at a NJ Quilt shop called the "Village Quilter" located in Mount Holly. The quilt was hanging in the window and featured long bright strips of fabric sewn horizontally into a basically solid white background. I stared at it for a very long time, but neglected to take a photo of it. It was however, burned into my grey matter.

I love bali prints and I collect them and bali pops and strip sets. I decided one snowy day to piece these with Moda Grey. Rather than do one stack, I opted for three stacks randomly spread across the quilt. I used 25 bali and batik prints in bright colors and randomly pieced them with the moda grey strips.



I added a wider negative space border on all sides and quilted it with a pantograph called "Daisy Doodle" designed by Apricot Moon. I used a grey thread to quilt it and used up some large pieces of map fabrics in grey and blue on the back that I had aging in my stash.

I also like that I had a smaller piece of leftover binding that contains many of the colors in the quilt that I was able to use to finish this quilt. Truth be told, I needed to make more of this binding, but was lucky enough to have some more of the fabric in my stash to get it big enough to finish the quilt.

This quilt marks the 9th of 52 quilt finishes in my 52 Quilt Challenge for 2014. I'm a little behind but hope to catch up later this month and in April. Its been a very busy couple of weeks for me with customer quilts, quilt shows and road trips.



No comments: