Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pantry Magic

Today's discussion is on how having a well stocked pantry and fridge are great when plans change unexpectedly.

I had a customer appointment for a quilt drop off this particular afternoon. I made sure I was ready to receive them however, they did not show. Not sure why, no call or email from them. This means that I was not able to perform my grocery shopping duties as planned after the appointment. Thank goodness I have a well stocked pantry (my family makes fun of me for this and call me a food hoarder). And last week's shopping yielded a fridge pizza crust, shredded cheese, some fresh asparagus, fat free ricotta cheese and some leftover baked chicken. The pantry had canned pumpkin, mushrooms, dried pasta and other canned goods that I could use.


So I had to make a decision, pumpkin pizza, white pizza, or pasta de jour? I decided that the whole wheat crust would work nicely with the white pizza, fresh cheeses, shredded chicken, asparagus and spices.

I baked the roll out dough for 8 minutes while I prepped the ingredients in a 400 degree oven. Once the crust was rolled out and baked, I spread a nice layer for fresh ricotta cheese over it. I sprinkled it with our favorite spices, including oregano, garlic powder, pizza seasoning and basil. Over top of that I laid a heavy layer of shredded pre-baked chicken and asparagus tips that I had micro cooked for 2 minutes. Then I loaded on the mozzarella cheese and shredded Parmesan cheeses, added a few twists of fresh ground pepper and popped it into the over for 12 minutes.



The results were pretty good. The whole wheat crust was complemented perfectly by the cheeses, chicken and asparagus.

I will make this again!

No comments: