Saturday, May 6, 2017

Chicken, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Hot Pot

Today was a low energy, overcast day for me. My BFF told me she was making soup. I thought that sounded like a good idea, so I set out to make something from ingredients I already had in house. I just didn't feel like heading to the grocery store.

Here is what I used to pull together this delicious warm soup. The chicken thighs along with the carrots, sweet potatoes and spices plus the quinoa make for a very hearty soup.


Place the following ingredients into the bottom of your crockpot.

6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large sweet onion, chopped into bite size pieces
2 large peeled sweet potatoes, chopped into 3/4" cubes
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup dry quinoa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium sized can of diced tomatoes with liquid

Mix together the following and then pour into the pot.
1 package dry herb and garlic soup mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tap parsley flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
4 cups low sodium chicken broth (1 box)
1 med can of diced tomatoes with liquid
2 TBSP Dijon mustard
2 TBSP honey

Cover and cook on high 4-4.5 hours. Serve hot in big bowls with a good crusty bread and some herbed butter. It will keep on warm or low for several more hours if needed.



#chickensweetpotatoquinoasoup #slowcookerrecipes #yummy #easysoup #lovemycrockpot

No comments: