Sunday, May 7, 2017

Sweet n Spicy Chicken Meatballs

So last week I was searching around PINTEREST for some recipes for chicken curry dishes. I came across several which I pinned to my allrecipes board, the place where I keep recipes that look interesting and want to try. I made chicken curry using thighs and it was delicious and easy. However, one of the recipes I pinned was a chicken with curry and coconut using ground chicken.

I was at Trader Joe's and they had beautiful ground chicken. I bought a package so that I could try the other recipe I had pinned. Unfortunately, the links to ththe recipe were broken and I was able to see the actual recipe itself. So I searched and found another chicken meatball recipe. I did not have any Frank's hot sauce on hand as the recipes required, so I morph the recipe into sweet and spicy chicken meatballs use a mango pineapple salsa instead. the red pepper flakes gives it a little kick, you can adjust the heat according to your preference by adding more or less red pepper flakes. If you like really spicy food, feel free to add some hot sauce to turn up the heat.


Here is what you will need

For the meatballs:

1 lb ground chicken
1 cup panto breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black or white freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp crushed garlic (I used elephant garlic crushed through my garlic press.
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp onion powder or onion flakes ( I used the latter)
1 tsp smoked papkrika
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

Place all these ingredients into a bowl and toss gently to blend well, but do not over handle.
Roll into either 20 quarter sized or 12 medium sized meatballs.

Place on a greased baking sheet and bake 12-14 minutes in a pre heated 400 degree oven. Halfway through, gently turn the meatballs to ensure even baking and browning. They should be a golden brown when done.

While the meatballs are baking, put the following ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and allow it to heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Once done, turn off heat and cover.

To make Sauce:
1 cup mango pineapple salsa
1/4 cup brown sugar
2-3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp salt

I made a cup of brown rice medley which cooked in 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 TBSP of butter for 35 minutes. I served the meatballs covered with sauce over the rice sprinkled with parsley flakes for color and garnish, It was a tasty and very filling dinner.

No comments: