Thursday, October 9, 2014

Bundt pans make more than cakes

Tonight I decided to try and use my favorite bundt pan, the Bavarian, to bake dinner for us. I had seen a recipe somewhere along the line suggesting that one could bake good other than cakes in the bundt pan with good results. I am happy to report, it works!

I had a package of uncooked breakfast sausages which I set in a frying pan to cook. As they browned, I chopped up some small colored sweet peppers, a small yellow onion and tossed them with the meat to cook as well. It took about 10 minutes.

In the meantime, in a large bowl, I combined 6 fresh eggs plus 3/4 cup egg whites, 1/2 cup skim milk and some salt and pepper plus a couple of pinches of italian seasonings. I whipped these together until fluffy. I added 2 1/2 cups of frozen shredded hash browns and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Then I added the veggies and sliced up sausages. After blending the ingredients well, I cut up 1 roll of biscuit dough into 1 inch chunks and stirred them to coat them.

Then I prepped the bundt pan by spraying liberally with Pam and then sprinkled 2 Tsp of bread crumbs over the inside. Next I poured the egg, meat and veggie mixture into the prepared pan, and pressed the ingredients down to ensure there are no air pockets. I decided it might be wise to place the pan on a baking sheet, in case it bubbled over, and baked in a preheated 400 degree oven for 55 minutes.

Viola! The Egg and Sausage Bake was done. I promptly removed it from the oven and cool for 10 minutes to set, before inverting onto a platter to serve.


It turned out golden brown and was delightful. The combination of the eggs, sausage, potatoes, onion, pepper and spices plus the cheese were heavenly. It made quite a hearty meal and there was plenty leftover for my breakfast this morning.


I suggest you refrigerate leftovers which can be reheated in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to warm before consuming


#eggsinabundt #breakfastbundt #sausageeggbiscuitbake #notjustforcake

No comments: