Friday, October 17, 2014

Hawaiian Applique at Rock Paper Scissors in Montclair, NJ Sunday, October 26th

I will be teaching a Hawaiian Applique by Machine Class at Rock Paper Scissors in Montclair, NJ October 9th 2014. Back in August, I spent parts of a weekend making samples for the store to display and use to promote the class. I really enjoyed the process of updating the well known classic technique to something a bit more modern and faster.

Hawaiian Applique traditionally is two pieces of fabric where one is applied to the other, either using hand applique or reverse applique. In my class, we use freezer paper and glue to create the Hawaiian motif and make the piece to be applied down on the background. How my class differs is that we use the sewing machine, invisible thread and tiny electronic stitches to finish the edges.

I love Hawaiian Applique because it brings me back to my childhood. Do you remember taking a sheet of paper and folding it several times, then cutting out designs that would make snowflakes? This technique is very similar to those school kid snowflakes we all made and loved. Instead of construction paper, we use freezer paper which has a waxy coating on it that will stick to washed fabric when heated with an iron.

Here are photos of the finished samples. During the class I will show many more finished pieces that I have done using this technique.


Since its October and Halloween is just around the corner, here are some of those blocks I made using the techniques you will learn in this class. I had so much fun making these patterns by Tina Gravatt and the skull one with the Day of the Dead fabric always gets the most comments.


For those of you looking for holiday and winter inspiration, here are two additional blocks I've made of snowflakes using this technique as well.


Please come join us on October 26th. Call the store at 973-337-6759 to sign up for this class and get the supply list.

#hawaiianappliquebymachine
#halloweenappliquebymachine
#learnappliqueinaday

No comments: