Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Love Autumn

Autumn is my absolute favorite time of the year. The cool, crisp nights, clear skys, and low humidity make for perfect weather. The trees begin their annual colorshow, turning brilliant shades of orange, red, yellow, greens, golds and browns. The crunch of the leaves on the ground, with the acorns littering the sidewalks means that longer dog walks are in order for the time being. As my plants begin their passive transition into hibernation, the hosta leaves slowly wither and shrink up until the gardens subside their brilliant variegated foliage. I love being able to leave the windows wide open day and night in order to allow the cool breezes to play with the sheer curtains in the windows. The ground is drier now so it makes weeding the garden easier and faster to finish.

Apple picking, pumpkin patches, spiced pumpkin coffee and lattes and craft shows abound. Have you noticed how many pumpkin flavored recipes and items come out this time of year? Every day my Facebook contains recipes for new things made with pumpkin. I am in heaven because I love pumpkin anything. There aren't enough hours in the day to make and enjoy them all. Soon the Halloween and Autumn decorations will give way to the year end holiday decorations. I will think its too soon, keep the oranges, yellow, burgundy and brown things around a bit longer. That reminds me, I need to go in search of some mums to decorate the front of the house.

Its also football season. You can watch football on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and even Mondays right now on TV. I miss going to the Giants games with Mike, but as we have aged we are more comfortable watching them play from the comfort of our own leather couch cheering as we see fit and not having to stand after every play to see the action. I miss the crowds, the noise, the kickoff music and the tailgating. But I love being able to cook during the commercials and watch the game without being squished into a hard seat in between two other people. I prefer watching the game with either dog on my lap or next to it.

Autumn is a time for transition. The days are getting shorter, cooler and more beautiful. The nights are great for sleeping with the windows open. Its time to air out the heavier quilts and feather comforters for the colder weather and service the furnace, well before it is needed.

Off to the garden for me!

No comments: